Wood Buring Stoves and fireplaces are efficient and beautiful, igniting instant class and ample heat into a room. Traditional and contemporary wood burning fires inspire comfort in the home as well as representing an attractive vision of rustic, country, urban or modern life – wood burning fires are fit for all eras and styles!
However, whilst being the main centre of attention in any home, people need to be aware of the associated safety risks of wood burners. Portadown Fireplaces wants to ensure that each of our customers know exactly how to safely operate our wood burners, which is why we have combined this wood burner safety manual to provide you with better and a clearer understanding of the matter.
Common Hazards of a Wood Burner
Creosote build-up is one of the main causes of home fires in the UK. Chimney obstructions such as this, puts your entire family in danger. A chimney must be properly maintained and kept clear of any blockage such as bird nests, twigs and of course creosote – which is highly flammable.
Incorrect installation of the chimney itself is a serious hazard as well as improper maintenance.
As with all types of fires, they MUST be installed correctly. Have the professionals at Portadown Fireplaces install your fireplace or stove properly because if it hasn’t been installed with correct clearance from combustible materials (including the furniture, walls, floor etc.), the risk of a fire starting in the home is increased.
Instructions are provided for a reason, if your appliance doesn’t follow the guidelines and is installed or operated incorrectly, you’re setting yourself up for trouble.
Wood Burning Stove Safety Tips
Below is a list of easy wood burner safety tips that will help decrease the risk of fire and other potentially dangerous hazards that can be caused by a wood burning stove:
Make sure that your wood stove is placed on a non-combustible and fire-resistant base.
Call in the professionals to correctly install your wood burning stove, don’t DIY it!
Only burn dry and seasoned wood. Burning wet wood can lead to house fires.
Dispose of ashes safely and properly. Use a metal box with a lid to clean ash from the stove and make sure that the ashes have had enough time to cool before attempting to clear them.
NEVER light a fire using flammable liquids.
Have a professional chimney cleaner inspect and clean your chimney on a regular basis.
Put your fire out before you turn in for the night. Never let the fire burn overnight.
Avoid burning rubbish in your wood stove.
Use a fireplace chimney to vent your wood stove – if possible.